As per the writings of the Chairman Dir Frank Clare 1970
In 1949, in the height of the beer shortages and supplies that only lasted about 1 ½ hours per day, the Secretary of Directors of the Eden Fishermen’s Co-operative (Carl Bastian) remarked that
“the facilities available to the fishermen at the present time for relaxation are deplorable, why don’t we consider forming a Fishermen’s Club”
As a result, Carl Bastian was instructed to proceed with investigations of obtaining a licence for the proposed Club.
The first Board of Directors were F. Woods, F Turnbull, C. Hancock, C. Bastian, S. Lucas, R. Bell and F. Clare, these men decided that it would be wiser to purchase a block of land for the construction of a new Club rather than spending money on temporary alterations to the Co-Operative building.
A block of land was purchased in Chandos street for 150 pounds and levelled for the proposed Club. Plans were drawn but restrictions on building materials caused delays. In September 1949 the Blue Ribbon Café became available and immediate steps were taken to take up the option over the Café. The acquisition of the Café was made possible by liberal terms given by the owner. The Directors proceeded with the alterations and purchase of furnishings, this was all made possible by the generous loans from Mr Alf Clayton and the Board of Directors. To protect the interests of the Co-Operative, twenty fishermen also guaranteed 25 pounds each. An application for a liquor licence was approved and the Articles of Association were submitted. Trading in the new premises immediately commenced on the 1st October 1950, but the Club was not officially opened until 5th May 1951.
The Club was offered a miserable quota of four 10 gallon kegs of Tooheys and five 9 gallon kegs of Tooths per week – this lasted approximately two days.
Numerous visits were made to Sydney to try to improve the quota to no avail, so investigations were made to source other supplies. As a result of these investigations, it was found the only supply available was ‘over the border’. It was through the untiring efforts of Messers. Snowy Fanthom, Jack Swires and Bob Bell that the Club members were able to enjoy continuous supply of liquor
(they also became the greatest bootleggers by moonlight in Australia!)
On 25th May 1952, it was realised that a more permanent supply was essential. After numerous quantities of oysters, crayfish and snapper were supplied to the powers that be , the Club finally acquired a quota of fifteen 18 gallon kegs per week.
In 1970, with the rapid expansion being experienced throughout the district (and the possibility of 18 year olds being admitted to Clubs), the Eden Fishermens Club acquired the Eden Country Club.
The Club still stands on the original grounds today but has enjoyed many renovations and extensions since then..